I have a shocking number to share with you, according to an article I read quite a while ago, it mentioned that unless we act, cancer could kill more than 10 million people by 2020 (Source: Malaysia National Cancer Registry Report 2007).
The advanced in medical science has shown that once a body tissue was removed by the surgeon, a precise diagnosis can be made while the pathologist could also tell whether the operation had completely removed cancer. With all these, can we win the cancer war?
You may want to know that cancer is any malignant tumour that is arisen from the abnormal, purposeless and uncontrolled division of cells that invade and destroy its surrounding tissues. The spread of the cancer cells may occur via the bloodstream, the lymphatic channels or across our body cavities.
The breakthrough in medical research has the following key discoveries:
Environmental factors can cause cancer
- In 1951 there had a “British Doctors Study” in linking the environmental factor to cancer involving 40,000 registered physicians in the UK with the aim of finding the link between smoking and lung cancer. Results from this study have led to many anti-smoking movements and anti-smoking policies worldwide.
- In 2010, President Nixon signed the National Cancer Act to begin the war against cancer, believing that cancer could be targeted and be cured, hence starting an avalanche of cancer research.
What it means is that cancer can be prevented.
Certain components in our body are responsible for cancer progression
Genes that cause cancer and genes that suppress cancer were identified. With this finding, drugs for the treatment of cancer well surpass those developed for other diseases by far (based on Source: Medco, R&D Directions for drug in development)
What it means is that cancer can be treated.
A plant with the name of Pacific Yew was evaluated by U.S. National Cancer Institute in early 1960’s as a potential source of the anti-cancer drug. Pacific Yew was later confirmed having anti-tumour activity and was subsequently approved by FDA for breast cancer treatment.
What it means is that with further research, we can develop better treatment.
Certain genetic make-up predisposes one to cancer
In 1994 and 1995, BRCA 1 and 2 genes were identified as risk factors for breast and ovarian cancers. This discovery epitomizes the integration of cancer screening and cancer genetics and in the prevention efforts. That is the reason when women found positive for a mutation in the two genes they will be screened more intensively should that be required.
What it means is people with high risk can be monitored to prevent cancer.
Certain viruses can cause cancer
- In 1969, Hepatitis B infection was found to cause liver cancer.
- In 1983, Human Papilloma virus has been found to cause cervical cancer.
- In 2006, FDA approves Gardasil vaccine to prevent HPV infection which can lead to cervical cancer. Thereafter, drugs such as Tamoxifen (to prevent breast cancer recurrence), Herceptin (for breast tumour that overproduces HER2), Gleevec (for chronic myelegous leukaemia) and Avastin (for the treatment of colon cancer) were subsequently approved by FDA.
What it means is that cancer can be prevented through vaccination.
In addition to the attention in medical science and research for cancer prevention and treatment, we are not short of the ancient Chinese art and science of Qi Gong to win the war against cancer. Do a study by yourself; I believe you will find that there are many cancer survivors overcoming their cancer crisis with the simple Qi Gong exercises.
So can we say that with courage and determination, we can win the cancer war?
Tan Kok Hui
Nutrition Made Simple, Life Made Rich
Keyword and phrases
Cancer Report | Medical Science | Smoking | Cancer Research | Pacific Yew | Anti-tumour | Breast Cancer | Cancer Treatment and Prevention | Cancer Screening | Cancer Genetics | Cancer Drugs | Exercises for Cancer | Vaccination | Gardasil | Tamoxifen | Herceptin | Avastin | Gleevec | Cervicar Cancer | Colon Cancer